MOTORBIKES: Injured TT rider Jamie Hamilton happy with Minimoto team’s debut

(l-r) Glenn McCormick, Jamie Hamilton and Connor Parkhill at the MiniMoto races. INLT 47-940-CON
(l-r) Glenn McCormick, Jamie Hamilton and Connor Parkhill at the MiniMoto races. INLT 47-940-CON

Round Two of the Minimoto Racing Club Of Ireland winter series took place at a very wet and windy Aghadowey last Saturday.

It was the first time as a team manager for Ballyclare’s Jamie Hamilton, who is recovering from injuries sustained after a high-speed crash at the Isle of Man TT earlier this year.

And, by all accounts, things went well. “It was certainly cold and wet but at the same time the craic was good. Glenn McCormick did brilliantly and Connor (Parkhill) had a decent day as well. All in all, it was well worth the effort and I am already looking forward to the next round in a couple of weeks’ time,” smiled Jamie.

It was first time on tarmac for McCormick but he handled the new experience well and returned home with a second, two thirds and a fourth.

The Team Hamilton rider said: “It was a new experience for me and maybe the wet track suited my motocross style. I wasn’t sure what to make of the whole thing before the racing got under way but I have to admit that I really enjoyed it. I was right with Andrew Irwin in the final before running onto the grass two laps from home, and down I went. Still, I wasn’t hurt and it was a bit of craic. You do need something to fill in the motocross off-season.”

As Glenn will be riding alongside Martin Barr and Graeme Irwin in next year’s Maxxis British Motocross Championship, it was a good chance to get his views on the news that the series will return to Desertmartin after a two-year absence. The track will host round four of the series on June 12.

“Desertmartin is a good track and it is great to see it back. It will be nice to race in front of the home fans again,” he commented.

Carrick’s Andrew Irwin was another rider making his debut on Saturday. “In my opening race I was closing on the leader, when, with two laps to go I had the biggest high-side ever,” he said. “I reckon it was the biggest crash I have had all year. After that, I decided to take things a bit easier. In the end I came away with a couple of fourths and a fifth. I’ll do the next round then call it a day as come the New Year it is getting to close to the new season and I can’t afford to get injured.”