Kincaid: Worst display since I took over at Barn United

Barn United manager Tommy Kincaid. US145049cd
Barn United manager Tommy Kincaid. US145049cd

It may have been Grand National Day but Barn United just weren’t at the races as they went bottom of 1a after a 2-0 defeat away to Dromara Village.

The form guide suggested Dromara were the better bets with three wins in their last four but Barn had recently given Comber and Abbey Villa a rough ride, losing only one of their last four as they tried to jockey their way out of the bottom two.

Manager Tommy Kincaid agreed: “We haven’t been playing too badly lately, but this was an absolute shocker - the worst we’ve been since I’ve come to the club. We had them well prepared and they knew how important it was. But to put up a performance like that was just baffling! We were shocking; we just didn’t play at all. You can’t perform like that and expect to pick up points.”

It’s just as well this one isn’t just a two horse race and Barn do have games in hand, although manager Kincaid will need to crack the whip in the final straight. Their only meaningful moment in the match came when substitute Alan McCune smacked one off the crossbar, with the Villagers already two up.

A minute’s silence was observed before the game for ex-Barn chairman Tommy Craig, who passed away during the week.

Meanwhile, there was some horseplay at Dennis Harvey Park where three Comber players failed to last the course in a 2-0 defeat to Larne Tech, all red-carded by referee Andrew Woodside.

“The ref had no other real option. Comber lost their discipline, but we just played on,” said Tech boss, Johnny Hastings.

The Tech galloped in front through Niall McAllister. The first dismissal came for a stamp on Aaron Mulvenna, with the other two coming in the second half, for speaking out of turn and for a hefty challenge on Neil Webb.

It should have been the spur Tech needed, but the going remained heavy and Comber kept things stable until the 80th minute when Scott McNally fired home a second.