BALLYMENA LEAGUE REVIEW: Wins for Whiteabbey, Larne Olympic and Whitehead Rangers

Football update
Football update

Intermediate Division: The conditions were not ideal for football as Rathcoole went down 3-0 at home to Dunloy.

Steve Dooey made the breakthrough for the visitors in the 52nd minute, forcing the Newtownabbey side to chase the game. But they were picked off as Dunloy added two more goals through John McFerran and Caolan Gillen.

With the clash of Ballymena Premier League’s top two – Newtowne v Ballynure OB – postponed, challengers Magherafelt Sky Blues took the opportunity to slip into third spot with a win against Killymoon Rangers.

This weekend Ballynure will be favourites to collect full points when they entertain Killymoon.

Junior Division One: FC Whiteabbey bagged their third win of the season thanks to a 2-1 success over Antrim Rovers.

Conor Mullen opened the scoring in the ninth minute before Ryan O’Neill netted number two for the Whites with 17 minutes on the clock.

Rovers scored what proved to be a consolation strike through Darryl McNeill.

Struggling Cookstown Olympic were no match for Mallusk Athletic who ran out 5-2 winners.

Mallusk went in front through Gerard O’Neill before Adam Agnew doubled their advantage.

Phil Brown got number three after the break and within two minutes Aidan McKeating put Athletic four up.

James McGahan’s double brought Cookstown back into it but any hopes of a dramatic comeback were quashed when Adam Frew netted eight minutes from time.

Junior Division Two: Bottom club Ballyclare North End lost 2-0 to Remo with Dylan Lemahaul and Steve Brady on target.

At the Ballymena Showgrounds, Larne Olymic ran out 2-1 winners over Wakehurst Strollers. It had all started so well for the hosts who were one up inside six minutes through Philip Cunningham.

That’s the way it stayed until Sean McGoran rattled home an 81st-minute penalty before Jonathan McManus snatched all three points with a late winner.

Junior Division Three: Whitehead Rangers tore up the form book to end Castle Star’s seven-game undefeated run with a 5-2 success.

Nathan Poulter had put Castle in front but Rangers had other ideas with goals from Phil Hall and Michael Brown putting them 2-1 up at the break.

Second-half strikes from Danny Hastings and Michael Deignan put the Gers in the driving seat before Lloyd Watters scored Castle’s second.

Michael Deignan added Rangers’ fifth to wrap up their fifth league win of the campaign.

Irish Junior Cup R3: John Davey, Steve Smith and Adam Gilmore scored for 3rd Ballyclare Old Boys as they were edged out 4-3 away to Sandy Hill. Elsewhere, an Alex Haggan double wasn’t enough as Woodlands lost 3-2 at Crumlin Star II.