Albion miss chance to go top, 3rd Ballyclare OB see off Carnlough

editorial image

Your weekly round-up of the East Antrim sides involved in the Ballymena and Provincial League.

O’Gorman Cup: Rathcoole progressed to the semi-final thanks to a 4-2 home win over Killymoon Rangers.

It was the visitors who lit the fuse eight minutes before the break trough Shea O’Neill but their lead was shortlived as Lee Adams levelled matters moments later.

Dylan McIlhatton put Killymoon in front again on 75 minutes but Rathcoole hit back in style with an Adam Richmond double and a William Holland strike putting them in the last four where they will play either Chimney Corner or Ballynure Old Boys.

Junior Division One: Mallusk Athletic were edged out 2-1 at Desertmartin Swifts. The visitors took the lead in the first half but Mark Shields restored parity for the Swifts early in the second half before netting what proved to be the winner in the 63rd minute.

Junior Division Two: Strikes from Jackson Griffith, Jordan Cooper and an own goal helped secure a point for Krag Albion in a 3-3 draw at Brantowood Reserves. A win would have put Albion top ahead of Sport and Leisure Swifts Reserves, but they had to settle for a point against the side second-bottom in the table.

Eoin Bradley and John Fox (pen) were on target for Remo in their 2-2 draw at Clough Rangers Athletic. Clough’s goals came courtesy of a Gary Hamilton double - one of which came from the spot.

Junior Division Three: Rathcoole Reserves bagged all three points away to Whitehead Rangers with a 2-1 win.

Rathcoole were two up at half-time with their goals arriving in the 43rd and 44th minutes.

Whitehead pushed forward at every opportunity in the second session but Rathcoole stood firm in defence until Phil Hall scored for Rangers five minutes from time.

Carnlough Swifts are still searching for their first win of the campaign after they were beaten 5-0 at home by 3rd Ballyclare Old Boys. Matthew McClurg, Marc Campbell, Steven Howie and John Davey got their names on the scoresheet. The other came courtesy of an own goal.

Castle Star Reserves lost 6-2 at Ballysillan Swifts Reserves. Castle took the lead early in the first-half thenbut a Colin Beattie hat-trick put Ballysillan 3-1 up at half-time. William Swain netted a fourth before Castle pulled one back. Barry Reid and Robert Johnston wrapped things up when they scored two more for the Swifts.

Elsewhere, Mallusk Athletic Reserves won 2-0 at home to Red Star. After a scoreless first half, Alan McCartney broke the deadlock and Damian Della Croce scored a second goal late on to ensure the win.