Development proposals by Carrick Rangers for Taylor’s Avenue football ground have taken an important step forward.
Mid and East Antrim Borough Council’s planning committee approved an application by the Michael Hughes Trust for the demolition of the existing grandstand, terracing, supporters’ club room and construction of new grandstand, changing rooms and ancillary accommodation.
Members were told at Thursday’s meeting by planner Denise Kerr that the work, which included a new grandstand that would seat 796 people, was required to bring the club up to Irish Football Association standard.
She said match day attendance was not expected to increase as a result. She also said one representation had been received in respect of the application which had been in the nature of a query.
Members went on to unanimously agree the recommendation of the planners to approve the application, with planning conditions, on the proposal of Councillor Gordon Lyons, seconded by Councillor Paul Reid.
TUV Councillor Stewart McDonald said by granting Carrick Rangers permission to update their facilities it will “allow them to grow as a club”.