No plans for Carrick funfair in coming months - council

Approval has not been granted for a funfair in Carrickfergus during May or June, Mid and East Antrim Borough Council has said.

Wednesday, 12th May 2021, 10:45 am
Updated Wednesday, 12th May 2021, 10:46 am
A funfair setting up at the harbour car park in 2018.

The local authority was responding to a query over whether the town would host such an event as public health restrictions ease in the coming months.

A spokesperson for MEABC said: "Council have not approved any fun fair in Carrickfergus in May or June."

Any applications received for events later in the year would be considered in line with latest health guidance, the spokesperson added.

Carrickfergus harbour car park has been a frequent venue for travelling funfairs in previous years, often during the late spring or the early summer months.

In 2018, the decision to close the car park to accommodate that year's fair caused some criticism, sparking debate over whether similar events could be relocated to a different venue.

The issue was again raised in September last year, with councillors told there was "no alternative venue" for such an event in the town.

Meanwhile, Carrickfergus Castle is set to reopen to visitors at the end of May in line with other indoor attractions, the Department for Communities has said.