An exhibition on architect Sir Charles Lanyon will be running at Carrickfergus Museum and Civic Centre this month.
Lanyon is well known in Northern Ireland for his architecture in Belfast including Queen’s University, Crumlin Road Gaol/Courthouse and Custom House.
However, he also lived and worked extensively in mid-Antrim, where he was involved in the design of buildings to house people in need from the local area. Although very different in architectural design, both Sheils Almshouses and Gills Almshouses (pictured above) served the same purpose.
Lanyon also engineered the Carrickfergus and Larne railways and designed Whitehead Railway Station. Following the marine highway from Carrickfergus, the Antrim coast road hugs the coast from Larne to Ballycastle and took 10 years to complete (1832-1842).
Building Legacies, an exhibition on the architectural heritage of Charles Lanyon in Mid Antrim highlights these achievements among others along with Lanyon’s life and civic roles. It will be on display at the Civic Centre until August 31.