Agencies notified about asbestos at scene of fire

The fire was reported shorlty before 6am.
The fire was reported shorlty before 6am.

Firefighters were tasked to an early-morning blaze at a derelict building in Carrickfergus.

The fire in the Larne Road area of the town was reported shortly before 6am on Friday, May 25.

A Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Approximately 95 per cent of the roof was destroyed.

“Due to asbestos, a number of other agencies were informed about this incident – local council, Roads Service, Health and Safety Executive and NI Environment Agency. PSNI were in attendance also.

“The fire was extinguished by firefighters from Carrick and Whitehead Stations.”

The road was closed between Downshire Gardens and Downshire Road. The blaze was extinguished by 7.20am.