New spire at St Nicholas’s Parish Church

Jack Colgan (left) and Francis McCaw are pictured preparing to hoist the new filial on to the spire at St Nicholas' Parish Church. INCT 35-759-CON
Jack Colgan (left) and Francis McCaw are pictured preparing to hoist the new filial on to the spire at St Nicholas' Parish Church. INCT 35-759-CON

Sky watchers may have noticed a slight difference to the Carrickfergus skyline in September 1987.

The old weatherbeaten church spire, which had been missing since renovation work began earlier in the summer at Saint Nicholas’ Parish Church, was replaced.

The new spire, made from sheet copper by Lisburn firm Sola-glas, was an exact replica of the old copper ball and cross which had been erected in 1841.

Jack Colgan (left) and Francis McCaw are pictured preparing to hoist the new filial on to the spire.