Twenty members of Carrickfergus Gasworks Preservation Society were honoured to receive the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service (QAVS) from the Lord Lieutenant of County Antrim Joan Christie CVO OBE at a ‘Gasworks Garden Party’.
The party, which was held in the gasworks, was attended by over 100 dignitaries and guests.
The Carrickfergus Coal Gasworks was opened in 1855 to provide street lighting for the town and later domestic use.
Some of the volunteers have worked from the foundation of the Society in 1989 giving their time and expertise to saving and creating Ireland’s only gasworks museum.
All the volunteers were delighted to receive the prestigious Award.