Carrick boys praised by council

editorial image
Share this article

Two boys were praised by Carrickfergus Council in October 1964.

They received the praise after they raised the alarm when they noticed a fire at a garage at the council yard in Carrick.

Trevor Wilson and Raymond Blair, both 13, received a 10 Shilling reward each a letter of thanks from the council.

The fire was caused by faulty battery terminals in a digger in the garage.

Councillors at the time said that the boys had prevented a major outbreak.

15 minutes before the alarm was raised, the Carrick brigade was called to a fire in Whitehead. This left only one firefighter in the Carrick station.

While waiting on firefighters from Glengormley arriving, locals helped to move the vehicles in the yard to safety.