'Challenges' to reopening Carrickfergus Castle
There are 'challenges' to reopening Carrickfergus Castle in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, the Department for Communities has said.
Last week, DfC announced that further state care monuments would commence a phased reopening from July 6.
These included Dunluce Castle, Grey Abbey and Dundrum Castle; however, both Carrick Castle and Scrabo Tower are still closed under current public health guidelines.
A DfC spokesperson said: “The safety of visitors is our paramount consideration in all decisions to reopen sites.
"Plans are being put in place across all state care monuments to reopen in line with the executive guidance and when it is safe to do so.
"Carrickfergus Castle presents particular challenges due to the limitations of space within the castle, for example narrow staircases and walkways.
"Once it is possible to open safely, a date for reopening will be announced.
“A number of other state care monuments without these physical constraints have now reopened, including Dunluce Castle and many other open air sites."
An up to date list of the reopened sites is available at https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/articles/historic-places-visit