Carrick Borough Council facilities will continue to be in use when the new Mid and East Antrim authority takes over next year, councillors have been told.
Chief executive of the newly formed authority, Anne Donaghy, gave the assurances at a meeting in Ballymena on Monday of last week in response to a query from Councillor Andrew Wilson.
“I understand that the use of facilities for meetings and staff is guaranteed for the first ten months, but can we get something more concrete?” the Knockagh member asked.
Ms Donaghy advised that there was “a will to use all assets across the Mid and East Antrim area”, including the three existing chambers. However, she advised that it was important to use these effectively and beyond the ten month period.
It is understood the initial meetings of the planning committee are to be based in Carrick.
Mr Wilson said: “I am glad the chief executive has realised the importance of using Carrick and its facilities, for meetings and staffing, beyond April 1, 2015.”
He also welcomed the use of Carrick Council’s seal and borough status in Mid and East Antrim until its own is developed from April 1 next year.