Citizens Advice Bureau have issued information to Carrick residents on how to deal with bogus callers claiming to represent the agency.
A statement from CAB read: “We would like to stress that no genuine CAB adviser, or anyone connected with CAB, would ever phone or text someone out of the blue offering a service.
“If you are cold called or get a text from someone offering loans, help with debt problems, or personal injury claims, it is almost certainly a scam. Make sure you:
- Don’t give or confirm any personal information.
- Report the call immediately to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud.
- Contact your local bureau for free, confidential, independent and expert advice to help resolve your problems.
“There are ways of reducing nuisance calls, e-mails and texts if you are becoming frustrated with them:
- Ask the company to take you off mailing list.
- Unsubscribe to the e-mail if you have the option.
- Don’t reply to texts.
- Register with the Telephone Preference Service so that it is illegal for companies to make unsolicited calls to you.”