Carrick businesses count cost of power cut

editorial image

Engineers are investigating a fault which caused a power cut for more than 1,000 homes and businesses in Carrick yesterday.

Two of the town’s largest retailers had to shut up shop when the electricity supply was lost.

Sainsbury’s had to close its doors for four hours while Tesco re-opened after three hours.

A spokesperson for Tesco confirmed that the supermarket was closed from 1.30 pm until 4.30 pm.

Retailers and businesses at West Street and Irish Quarter were also affected.

DUP councillor Cheryl Johnston highlighted concern over the loss of power to traffic lights at two of the town’s busiest roads.

“Obviously, there was a safety concern when the traffic lights were not working at Belfast Road outside Model Primary School and at Minorca Place outside Tesco.

“However, I would like to praise the PSNI for its swift response to manage traffic. This was very much appreciated.”

Ulster Unionist councillor John Stewart said he had been contacted by angry traders and businesses.

He indicated that when he contacted Northern Ireland Electricity Networks, he was informed that a cable had been cut and the company was investigating. Mr. Stewart described the incident as “unfortunate”.

A spokesperson for NIE Networks said: “All customers were restored by 5.24 pm. Engineers are still investigating the cause of the fault.

“Around 1000 customers in the Carrickfergus area were affected by a power cut at 1.15 pm on Tuesday December 13. Engineers from NIE Networks responded immediately and managed to restore power to the majority of customers by 3.45 pm. Engineers worked into Tuesday evening to restore power. “